April 22, 2011

Deviled eggs

Easter is coming, which means time for deviled eggs.  I actually eat deviled eggs year round, but they are especially great around Easter time!  Here is my favorite recipe:

Dijon Deviled Eggs
1 dozen eggs
1/4 c. mayonnaise
1 Tbsp. dijon mustard
1/4 c. butter, softened
1 tsp. lemon juice
1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper
Salt and (white) pepper to taste
Paprika (for sprinkling)

To hard boil eggs, place them in a single layer in the bottom of a large pot, then cover with two inches of cold water.  Bring the water to a boil (do not cover the pot during this time).  Once water is boiling, put lid on pot, remove from heat, and let eggs sit in hot water for 15 minutes.  Drain the hot water, refill pot with cold water to cool down eggs, drain, then gently shake pot so that eggs roll against each other and the shells crack.  Peel shells under cold water to help separate shells from eggs.

Cut eggs in half and remove yolks.  In a bowl, mash the yolks, then stir in the mayonnaise, mustard, butter, lemon juice, and red pepper.  Add salt and pepper to taste.  I usually put the filling in a ziploc bag, mash it a bit more in the bag, then cut off a corner and pipe it into the egg halves.  Refrigerate for an hour or until ready to serve.  Sprinkle with paprika right before serving.

And if you're going to be serving deviled eggs, you need a special plate of course!  I got this inexpensive white one at Target last year, and they still have it (on sale this week, actually).  I wish it were a circle instead of being egg-shaped, but other than that I like it.

A few other serving options, from the funky to the traditional:







(available in several colors)






3 comments:

Kara K said...

I have a red fiestaware egg plate. I've never used it ...
I have a co-worker who for food days, brings in deviled eggs at 8 am and leaves them sit out all day. Someone is going to get food poisioning. Besides, when did deviled eggs become a breakfast food? Gross.

Nicole @ one half world said...

Eew, that is bad. People should definitely serve deviled eggs right away or get one of those plates with a container for ice at the bottom to keep everything chilled! I can't believe you've never used your plate!

Nikki said...

I don't eat eggs, deviled or otherwise, so I don't have an egg plate, but I love the looks of them with their individual compartments. seeing everything all neatly sectioned off just makes me happy. I'm probably just weird.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...