September 11, 2012

Peach pie

September is such a great month for produce. It seems like a lot of my friends and family have excess veggies and herbs, and I am happy to help them with that problem! So I've been doing a lot of internet searching to find ways to use 6 cups of cherry tomatoes, 4 zucchinis, etc. I had a big bag of the world's fuzziest peaches and decided to make them into a pie. Recipe below...


Boil a large pot of water and drop peaches in for about 30 seconds to loosen the skins:

Immediately remove them from the boiling water to a big bowl of ice cold water:

Slip the peels off, then slice the peaches and toss together in a bowl with:
1 - 1 1/2 Tbsp. lemon juice
1/2 cup sugar (or more, depending on how sweet the peaches are)
1/2 - 1 tsp. cinnamon and 1/4 - 1/2 tsp. allspice (I usually go heavy on the spices)
1 1/2 - 2 Tbsp. cornstarch

(I used a pretty big pie pan, so I had a lot of peaches and scaled towards the upper end on the ingredients above.

Place your bottom pie crust in the pie pan and spoon peaches into the pan. Dot with about 2-3 Tbsp. of butter (cut into small pieces):

Place top pie crust over peaches, crimp the edges together, and cut a few slits in the top for steam to escape while baking. Brush top crust with a little milk and sprinkle with sugar. Bake at 450 degrees for 10 minutes, then reduce heat to 350 degrees and bake 40-50 minutes. Pie top should be a pretty golden brown:

Don't forget to serve with a good vanilla ice cream. Such a great dessert for the end of summer / beginning of fall!

p.s. - I also made these shrimp rolls recently. It's pretty much like a lobster roll, but cheaper. I cobbled together the recipe, but essentially just cook the shrimp, then chop and add some onion, lemon juice, parsley, and Old Bay seasoning. Taste until you get the proportions right. Again, looking for ways to use up free tomatoes and herbs. Yum!


2 comments:

Nikki said...

What crust recipe do you use? Your crust looks so good! I have a ton of peaches in my freezer from summer, and I'm thinking a peach pie is in order for tonight!

Kara K said...

Okay, I hate you for your peach pie. Peach pie is my absolute most favorite dessert in the entire world.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...