November 23, 2010

Chocolate cake with nutella ganache


This weekend I had the job of making the cake for my parents' birthday party.  I had been eyeing this recipe from design*sponge's "in the kitchen with..." column.  The recipe and the presentation looked amazing, so I decided to try it.

My cake doesn't look as good as Cenk's, but I was pretty happy with the way it turned out; the chocolate shards were not as difficult as I thought they might be.

See the full recipe here.  I made the following modifications:

  • Because I am sort of a lazy baker, I didn't use the parchment paper/dusting with cocoa powder combo to prep my pans.  Instead, I just used a baking spray (the kind with flour).
  • I substituted Nutella for the Biscoff spread; we love Nutella around here, and I already had it on hand, but I would like to try the Biscoff if I can find it locally.
  • Next time, I would probably spread a little more ganache between the cake layers; I had too much left over, and I couldn't use it all on frosting the outside of the cake.
  • The ganache got a bit warm, so you may need to pause and refrigerate the layers and work in stages to add the chocolate shards (just leave them in the refrigerator until you're ready to start placing them on the cake).

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...