November 14, 2010

Window seat

When we built our house, we asked for a little window seat in the breakfast room.  I have always wanted to add a little cushion and some pillows to make it more comfortable.  Here's the before:


Here it is now:

I made the seat cushion cover out of white denim so I can zip it off for easy machine washing (and even bleaching if necessary).  If you decide to make something similar, be sure to wash and dry your fabric before sewing.  Even with a prewash and dry, my cover still shrunk when I laundered it the first time.


I made the charcoal toile dot pillows from bits left over from a reupholstery project; I added blue velveteen backs for some contrast.  I also sewed the navy and white dot pillow from a remnant of fabric scored for $2.95 at Hancock's!  I prefer to use down or down/feather inserts instead of poly if possible.  For these pillows I picked up an oblong pillow form from Hancock's and two square forms from Pottery Barn (if they don't have these on display, just ask a sales associate).  The other two pillows are clearance aisle finds from T.J. Maxx.


I like the different prints; they help liven up the room's solid colors and look good against the light blue walls.


Most importantly, this window seat is now more functional for daily life.  During big family dinners, we extend the dining table right up to the seat, where two or three kids usually perch.  For everyday use, it's a great place to read or have a cup of coffee.  Even the dog loves it!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...