December 23, 2010

Craigslist find + room design

As I am looking through sites like Craigslist or eBay, I will often find an antique, lamp, accessory, or furniture item that I really like but either a.) don't have the money for or, b.) don't really have a space for (or, usually, a. and b.).  So I thought I would occasionally share some finds with you guys, along with a little plan for how to use the item in a room design.


{Set of two vintage chairs and ottomans}

On Craigslist I found a pair of wooden chairs with brown leather upholstery.  They each have a matching ottoman, and the seller is asking $200 each or $350 for both.  This seems like a very reasonable price to me.  View this listing HERE.

When I saw these chairs, I immediately thought they looked really comfortable because they appear to recline slightly, so I came up with a little room design for a cozy library with a fireplace, lots of books, a large area rug, and dark glossy walls.  Here's the plan:


 
I think that libraries should be filled with books, but if you have enough books, their colors go with anything, so you should just choose whatever colors you like for the room.  When I think "library," I think "cozy," especially since it's so cold outside right now, so I came up with a room based on a dark green-grey, brown, and burnt orange color scheme.  An oversized (10' x 16') rug ties together all the room colors, and the two different fabrics could be used for curtains, throw pillows, or table skirts.  Add a floor lamp by one of the chairs to facilitate reading, and use the console table for stacks of books and other accessories.  This room mixes different finishes--pewter, bronze, nickel, and the rough metal finish of the console--which keeps it from looking too matchy-matchy, and with the walls painted in a high gloss grey-green, a lot of the metal textures would recede into the wall color anyway.

Sources:
Crystal hurricanes - Ralph Lauren Home
Fabrics - bird "Camerano" and tan and teal floral from Lewis & Sheron Textile Co.

I wish I had this room in my house right now; I would love to lean back with a good book and a cup of tea!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...