January 5, 2011

New Year's resolutions

I try to make very manageable New Year's resolutions, as I find that increases my chances of following them throughout the year.  I also like extremely practical resolutions.  One year I resolved to be consistent about going to my semiannual dentist appointments.  I was very successful on that one.  I have also resolved to do things I would probably do anyway, like get my eye prescription updated, finish my incomplete house projects, and eat more incidental vegetables.  I feel good checking these off my list.  Check, check, and check.

I have a few resolutions for 2011; here is an abridged list:


Be healthier 
I know this is against the conventional wisdom of New Year's resolutions because it is very vague and somewhat hard to measure.  Okay, so here is a more specific version: actually complete Shaun T's "Insanity" program (60 days of interval training fun!) and follow a more plant-based diet (I highly recommend Mark Bittman's Food Matters if you want to learn more about eating in a way that is better for you and the environment).  The fact that we are vacationing in Florida for spring break will probably help motivate me for this one.

Read through the Bible 
I prefer to read one book of the Bible at a time, so I am using this plan: click HERE for a PDF download.

Wear all my clothes 
(Or get rid of them.) I have shelves of shoes and boxes of bags, and I don't use them all.  I need to purge my closet and only keep what really fits and what I like.

{A few of my shoes}

Stick to a budget 
This is very hard for me to do, but I am planning on using some finance apps to keep better track of spending throughout the month.  I think it will also help that I will be so busy with work this spring that I likely won't have time to shop.  :)

Don't complain 
I have much to be thankful for, but when things get really busy and I start to feel overwhelmed, it's tempting to get a little whiny.  My goal is not to complain about circumstances or people or work or anything else this year.


I also want to finish some half-completed projects and start some house projects that I have been considering for a while.  More on that in another post...

Good luck sticking with your resolutions (if you make them)!!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...