August 20, 2012

Before and after -- master bedroom

I haven't done any house tour photos for a while, so I thought I'd share a few of our master bedroom.  It's definitely still a work in progress, but it's coming along.  Here is the "before" picture, taken probably about a year and a half ago:



And here is the little plan I drew up, illustrating the changes I wanted to make:

And here it is today:



I recovered this chair in Waverly's "Garden Lattice" fabric.  This was my first upholstery project, so it was a trial-and-error process, often mostly error.  :)


Yet another DIY project: Check out how I dyed these lampshades here.


 The room setup hasn't changed, but I did swap out the big comforter for a coverlet instead.  I made a white linen duvet cover that we use with a down comforter in the colder months.


We have these white faux-wood blinds in all of our front windows, and I really like them.  From the street, they give the house exterior a nice, consistent look.


I know a lot of people don't like having a TV in the bedroom because of the temptation to keep it on all the time, or because watching TV right before bed can make it harder to fall asleep. We don't use it all that much, but it is nice to let James watch Saturday morning cartoons with us or turn on the news while getting ready in the morning.  The framed etchings here were a terrific flea market find.


I keep this little bowl from Anthroplogie on my nightstand.  Mostly I use it for barrettes and hair clips, but for some reason I always have this little kid's toy watch in here too.


I made the headboard--it's a faux leather fabric that is very easy to keep clean.  I worry about a fabric headboard getting too dusty after a while.

I am thinking that I would eventually like to replace the coverlet and dust ruffle with a custom-fit bedspread, probably in a beige linen that is close to the wall color.  I wouldn't mind going with mostly solid fabrics and getting rid of the more patterned chair and pillow fabrics.  I only have the aqua curtains because we needed to buy something for a home show, but I would prefer less color in the room.  So we'll see, there may be another "after" post sometime in the future!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...