February 16, 2011

My dream home office

I wish I could say this design were for an actual home office I have planned in the near future.  I have an office right now, but it's a bedroom that's temporarily being used as an office, and I have dreams of one day having a "real" home office with bookshelves, a wireless printer (sigh), and a gigantic bulletin board. Till that day arrives, I will share my plans with you...


I would use a Parsons dining table instead of a desk because I like lots of room to spread out.  West Elm used to make these in red; I can't find them now, so I would use high gloss red paint to get the same look.  A vintage wing chair reupholstered in linen would make a great desk chair (maybe on brass casters?).  I have been wanting a vintage French bouillotte lamp for a while with a great brass base and a black shade.  A bamboo mirror hung above the desk would lighten up the space, and I like the natural look the bamboo adds.


On the other side of the room, an antique bookcase would house class materials, and a secretary desk allows it to also function as additional workspace if needed.  A modern floor lamp provides light wherever it's needed (because an underlit office is NOT good).  I would add a couple fabrics: the Brunschwig & Fils "Le Lac," which I have liked for a while now, and a red ikat for more pattern and color.  And just for fun, an iPad because I think I would find a ton of uses for it if I had one.  :)

Sources
West Elm Parsons dining table (Paint color for desk: Fine Paints of Europe Tulip Red)
Williams-Sonoma Home Chelsea wing chair (linen upholstery)
Vintage bouillotte lamp 
Brunschwig & Fils "Le Lac" fabric for curtains or roman shade
Decorative Fabrics Direct Positano crimson ikat fabric on toss pillow
Apple iPad (hey, they have some good education apps!)


Does anyone else work from home?  What does your workspace look like now?  What would you do differently if you could update it?

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...